Tips for Reducing Food Waste
1. Shop with Meals in Mind: plan out your menu for the week so you only buy what’s needed
- First shop at home – check your fridge and cupboards before going to the store. Only buy what you need and use packaged products until the very end (i.e. to the very last drop).
- If you replace items before you’ve finished the container on hand, put the new item behind the old one, so you finish the old first (FIFI – First In, First Out).
2. Smart Storage: properly store perishable items to ensure their full shelf-life
- Review best practices for storing produce.
3. Use the WHOLE food:
- Use ALL edible parts of the food – bones for broth, skins and tops of produce.
- Chop, cook and freeze, or prepare and freeze ripe produce/food near its expiration for future use.
- Serve smaller portions. You can always go back for seconds, but we throw away leftovers left on plates.
- Use leftovers (again, either freeze or portion out for lunches. Get creative with a “Family Leftovers Night”.